Is your self-esteem suffering as a result of your weight?
Is it preventing you from looking like your most gorgeous self?
Don’t be concerned! We’ve come up with a solution for you! Bariatric surgery is the answer to your weight problems, especially if other measures like diet and exercise have failed you!
But what if you lose your confidence instead of gaining it?
What if, in addition to losing weight, you also lose your hair?
Nothing is perfect! There is no gain unless there is a loss! Hair loss after bariatric surgery is, in fact, one of the negative effects of the procedure! As a result, rather than gaining confidence as a result of bariatric surgery, you may lose faith due to hair loss.
Even though the first loss is again, the gain must be paid for with two additional losses! Isn’t it true that the loss outweighs the gain?
But fear not, there is ‘BEST NEWS!’
Hair loss after bariatric surgery is only temporary!
Yes! Yes, you read that correctly. Hair loss caused by bariatric surgery is only temporary! There is also no such thing as a problem without a solution. Yes, there is a treatment for temporary hair loss after bariatric surgery, says Dr. Harsh Sheth, a Mumbai-based weight loss surgery specialist.
With ten years of expertise, Dr. Harsh Sheth is one of Mumbai’s leading bariatric surgeons. Saifee Hospital, Bhatia Hospital, ACI Cumballa Hill Hospital, Apollo Spectra Hospital (Tardeo), Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central, and Conwest & Manjula S Badani Jain Charitable Hospital, he is a consultant in advanced laparoscopic and bariatric surgery.
He adheres to the ‘primum non-nocere’ concept, which means “first, not harm,” thereby providing the highest patient safety and comfort.
We understand your want to learn more about preventing hair loss after bariatric surgery!
But hang in there! The first step toward solving a problem is to realize it! Before we can know the answers and preventive actions, we must first comprehend the situation! Because only by understanding the problem will we find the best solution!
So, first and foremost, let’s discuss the reasons and forms of hair loss, as well as the hair growth cycle! Then we’ll talk about how to avoid hair loss following bariatric surgery!
So, what are some of the most common reasons for hair loss?
Hair loss is widespread nowadays! The following are some of the reasons that contribute to hair loss:
- Nutritional Deficiency
- Illness, and so forth.
What are the different kinds of hair loss?
Hair loss comes in a variety of forms. However, the following are some of the most common causes of hair loss after weight loss surgery:
- Telogen Effluvium: This is the most common hair loss type that has recently had bariatric surgery. When many hair follicles enter the telogen or resting phase of the hair life cycle, but the next growth phase does not begin, telogen effluvium occurs. This causes hair to fall out and no new hair to grow in its place.
The following are some of the factors that lead to this type of hair loss:
- Deficiency of nutrients
- Major surgery
- Rapid and sudden weight loss
And because the factors above are all part of the weight-reduction process, telogen effluvium is the leading cause of hair loss after bariatric surgery!
- Androgenetic Alopecia: Another type of hair loss noticed following bariatric surgery. Androgenetic alopecia is one of the most common types of hair loss in Indians! Genetic factors are the primary cause of hair loss. It can, however, be addressed with the right surgery and treatment.
What is the usual growth pattern for hair?
The hair growth cycle comprises four stages that our hair goes through. The hair growth cycle is divided into four stages:
- Anagen (growth phase)
- Catagen (death phase)
- Telogen, or the dormant state
- Exogen, also known as the shedding phase
Approximately 90% of hair follicles are in the growth phase at any given time. At any given time, only around 5% to 15% of hair is in the resting or telogen phase. Many hair follicles in a person with telogen effluvium, on the other hand, remain in the telogen phase without progressing to the next growth phase, resulting in hair loss.
What causes hair loss after a bariatric procedure?
As described earlier in the text, Telogen effluvium is a common cause of hair loss after bariatric surgery. Stress, a lack of nourishment, significant surgery, rapid weight loss, hormonal changes, and drugs are all known to promote telogen effluvium.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these elements.
- Stress: Hair loss causes a lot of anxiety. But did you know that stress isn’t simply a symptom of hair loss; it’s also the cause? Yes, one of the significant causes of telogen effluvium is stress. Stress harms hair growth and is one of the top reasons for hair loss.
- Major surgery: Emotional and physical stress are typical side effects of major surgery. And we’ve just learned that stress inhibits hair growth! As a result, one of the most prevalent adverse effects of significant surgeries like bariatric surgery is hair loss!
- Medications: Doctors prescribe certain bariatric patients to help them lose weight and manage problems like high cholesterol, diabetes, and high blood pressure. These drugs improve one’s health, but they also deteriorate it! Yes, while they are suitable for one’s bodily health, they are bad for one’s hair! One of the most prevalent adverse effects of these medications is hair loss. If you’re losing hair due to your weight-loss medicines, it’s a good idea to question your bariatric surgeon about other options.
- Nutrient deficiency: Our hair, like our bodies, requires critical nutrients to keep healthy. Hair health and hair loss can be affected by a lack of iron, zinc, protein, and others. To avoid hair loss following bariatric surgery, bariatric patients must consume enough protein, iron, zinc, and other elements in their diet. Following bariatric surgery, the leading bariatric surgery specialist in Mumbai recommends ingesting 45-60mg of iron each day to avoid hair loss.
- Hormonal alterations: Weight loss is aided by hormonal changes caused by bariatric surgery. Hormonal changes, in addition to weight loss, cause hair loss! Hormonal fluctuations are one of the most common causes of hair loss. As a result, hair loss is a common bariatric surgery adverse effect!
- But don’t be concerned! Following some helpful preventive measures after bariatric surgery will help to prevent hair loss!
What can you do to avoid hair loss after bariatric surgery?
The following are some of the strategies to avoid hair loss after bariatric surgery:
- Ensure that you obtain enough nutrients and vitamins every day.
- Do yoga and other relaxation activities to help you avoid stress as much as possible. Weight loss is a good thing, so why stress yourself instead of being happy?
- If some weight-reduction or blood-pressure drugs are causing hair loss, tell your doctor and ask if there are any alternatives.
- Make sure you get enough protein in your diet. Women should consume 60 grams of protein per day, while males should consume 80 grams per day, according to an experienced bariatric surgery expert in Mumbai.
So, if you’ve been putting off bariatric surgery because of hair loss, you don’t have to anymore!
Hair loss is just temporary following bariatric surgery! It is, in fact, avoidable! You can prevent hair loss following bariatric surgery by taking the appropriate precautions, like including essential vitamins and nutrients in your diet, managing stress, and so on.